CFP: Stephen Crane Society at ALA 2016 (Deadline 1.10.16)
The Stephen Crane Society will sponsor two sessions at the American Literature Association Conference at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco in Embarcadero Center on May 26-29, 2016. All topics are welcome. Here, for example, are a few suggestions
· Crane’s depiction of war
· Crane and the arts (e. g., painting, photography, music)
· Crane’s depiction of the city
· Crane’s poetry
· Crane’s journalism
· the Sullivan County tales and sketches
· the Western stories
· the Whilomville stories
· one of Crane’s lesser-known novels (The Third Violet, Active Service, or The O’Ruddy)
· Crane’s depiction of women
· Crane’s relationship with other writers, e. g., Garland, Howells, Conrad, or Frederic
Presentations will be limited to 20 minutes.
You may also propose a roundtable discussion on, say, teaching Crane’s short stories.
Please email abstracts or papers of no more than ten double-spaced pages by January 10, 2016, to the program chair:
For further information about the conference, please consult the ALA website at http://www.americanliterature.org. If you have specific questions about ALA, contact the conference director, Professor Alfred Bendixen of Princeton University, at email@example.com.