Call for Papers: Stephen Crane Society, ALA 2019
The Stephen Crane Society will sponsor two sessions at the American Literature Association Conference at the Westin Copley Place in Boston on May 23-26, 2019. All topics are welcome. Here, for example, are a few suggestions:
- Crane’s depiction of war
- Crane and the arts (e. g., painting, photography, music)
- Crane’s depiction of the city
- Crane’s poetry
- Crane’s journalism
- the Sullivan County tales and sketches
- the Western stories
- the Whilomville stories
- one of Crane’s lesser-known novels (The Third Violet, Active Service, or The O’Ruddy)
- Crane’s depiction of women
- Crane’s relationship with other writers, e. g., Garland, Howells, Conrad, or Frederic
- Crane’s influence on later writers
Presentations will be limited to 20 minutes.
You may also propose a roundtable discussion on, say, teaching Crane’s short stories.
Please email abstracts or papers of no more than ten double-spaced pages by January 15, 2019, to the program chair:
For more information about the conference, please consult the ALA website at www.americanliterature.org. If you have specific questions about ALA, contact the Conference Director and Executive Coordinator of ALA, Professor Olivia Carr Edenfield, at email@example.com or the Executive Director of ALA, Professor Alfred Bendixen, at firstname.lastname@example.org.